Friday, June 17, 2011

39 Ends Today... 100 Begins Today

First of all congratulations to the Boston Bruins for winning the Stanley Cup Championship. It's been 39 years already, and to the likes of Ray Bourque, Cam Neely, Andy Moog, guys unable to win the Stanley Cup during their time in the black and gold, this one's for you. And for the current group of Bruins, such as Zdeno Chara, Patrice Bergeron, Tim Thomas, Mark Recchi and the other players, congratulations for bringing the title back to Boston.

Coincidentally, my graduation years have occurred at the same time a team from Boston won a world championship in U.S. professional sports. When I graduated from grade school, the New England Patriots of gridiron football won the Super Bowl, and as I was starting high school, baseball's Boston Red Sox won the World Series after an 86-year drought. As I was about to finish high school, the Red Sox won it all again, and as I was starting life in college, the Boston Celtics of the NBA ended a 22-year wait by winning their 17th NBA championship. Now as I was about to finish college, the Bruins have ended a 39-year drought by winning the Stanley Cup title. How lucky I was to have a Boston-based sports team win a championship on the year I was about to graduate and start a new life. That's sheer coincidence.

On a day the Bruins ended a 39-year Stanley Cup title drought, De La Salle University was celebrating its centennial. I was supposed to wear black and gold instead of my customary green, but I decided to wear green in the expectation of a lot of students wearing every kind and shade of green in their shirts. As I arrived, the place was overflowing with men and women in green shirts, a lot of which have a statement commemorating the university's centennial. It's almost like an Ateneo-La Salle game at the Araneta Coliseum except only a few notables are wearing Ateneo's blue. And the place, as humid as it is, made me remind of the Bruins' old home, the notoriously hot and un-airconditioned Boston Garden.

The entire day took its toll on me, but not before I was able to meet some of my college friends. It was a moment to remember, reminiscent of my first day in college, a memory that seem endless. Every moment sinks into my mind with every passing day, as if it never ended. College, after all, made me safe with all the people surrounding you.

As I'm about to wind down on college, I never stopped reminding myself of the goal that needs to be reached: to pass thesis and all my remaining subjects. And it is still my goal, and with two months remaining, it is still achievable. But till then, the best option is working hard.

Now that the euphoria of the centennial day has ended, now it's back to better things on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment