Thursday, October 27, 2011

Brightened Days

Today is the birthday of my good friend Camille Barrios (a.k.a. DJ Millie). And to those who have been good friends with her, allow me to share a story.

Camille and I go a long way back. We first met somewhere late in our fourth term (first term of soph year). At first I had no idea on how we met, but once we started bumping into each other often throughout sophomore year, I started to realize how friendly and open is she. Gradually our encounters became lengthy discussions and soon enough we grew like siblings in a family.

We became classmates twice during my three years in college. In my penultimate term Camille and I were groupmates in statistics class, and she helped me overcome 'math fright'; after all I never liked math since I started college. With her help I found out how easy basic statistics was. In addition, since we were doing thesis then we were able to help each other in dealing with all the problems regarding the creation of our respective thesis. During breaks or after-class hours we also helped each other in dealing with personal problems. Camille's good-natured personality made me feel comfortable.

We were supposed to graduate together in October but Camille's thesis got into the way. Just weeks before my thesis defense I felt so distraught that I retreated in the safety of my room and let my tears out. I couldn't stop crying because we were so close to this moment, and yet she wasn't able to make it. One day, while I was still teary-eyed, Camille messaged me on Facebook, asking me to be happy and to be positive about, and then I asked her to keep the faith. On that day I realized that with all the things that we've done to each other, we knew that we had our backs together and with all the support in the world we knew that anything is possible.

Thank you Camille for making it a beautiful day. Once again have a happy birthday, and enjoy whatever remains of college.

No comments:

Post a Comment