Saturday, October 1, 2011

October Requiem

First of all, over the past few days I wasn't in a good mood to write a blog, still following updates on the graduation list which has been ongoing since the second week of September. And now the calendar turns to October, and with all the updates almost complete I can now start writing again. First things first, the inevitable just happened last Thursday.

I was watching the Rays and Yankees, and following the Orioles and Red Sox, and the AL Wildcard was on the line. Just when I thought Jonathan Papelbon could at least put the Red Sox into a tie-breaker, he blew it in the bottom of the 9th that allowed a game-winning hit for the O's Robert Andino. Later on, the Rays sealed Boston's fate with an Evan Longoria walk-off homer in the 12th. And just earlier today, Terry Francona's time as manager is over. The Red Sox won two World Series (2004, 2007) under Tito, but missed the playoffs in his final two seasons. The Red Sox are done, so my attention turns to the Phillies, Brewers and (in the AL) Rangers to win it all. I don't want the Yankees to win their 28th World Series title, that's all.

With the Red Sox's season over, attention is now on the football Patriots and the hockey Bruins. The Pats are looking for their fourth Super Bowl, while the Bruins are seeking a repeat Stanley Cup title. I'm only hoping that both teams escape injury and inconsistency to earn the big one. What about the NBA? I'd rather wait for 2012 instead of now; the labor stuff is so messy right now.

Now on to the bigger stuff. I'll be looking forward to graduation. The next several days will pay tribute to some of the people that helped me through the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment