Saturday, August 6, 2011

What Might Have Been (Part One)

Tomorrow is the second day of the UPCAT, for the high school seniors aspiring to enter the University of the Philippines. Today is Day 1, and looking back at what might have been, had I entered UP, I would've followed my elder cousins who ended up studying in the vast tree-laden campus in Diliman. Instead I realized that UP was too big for me.

I thought about applying for the UPCAT during summer vacation in 2007. I thought long and hard, then I realized I don't want to apply for the UPCAT because of these reasons. First off, a not-so realistic passing chance. UPCAT is taken up by so many HS seniors every year, but only around 20% would pass the test. So I found out that my chances are a long shot. During my time at the review school, I realized how hard is the UPCAT when I took the simulation test. Next up is the location. UP after all isn't only located in Diliman, but is also located in Los Banos, Manila, Baguio and in various other locations in the Philippines. If I passed, that doesn't mean I would take my talents to Diliman, the lead dog among UP campuses. And then, had I ended up in the Diliman campus, I would have a lot of trouble keeping pace with the college schedule that UP offers. The cost, of course, really bothers me. Going to various campuses with either the IKOT or the TOKI jeep would cost me a fortune. Finally, I didn't apply for UP because their basketball team is so mediocre. Taking account the 0-14 campaign they had in 2007, it really feels humiliated for me if I ended up in UP.

So with UP out of the question, the next trip of my 'what might have been' tour will head across Katipunan Avenue.

No comments:

Post a Comment