Saturday, August 6, 2011

What Might Have Been (Part Two)

The next stop on my 'What Might Have Been' tour took me across Katipunan Avenue. Obviously, I'm talking about Ateneo. After all, I used to be a fan of the Blue Eagles since they won the basketball title in 2002. But when I took the simulation test in a review center, it became clear that the school wasn't going to be my destined playground. Answering the ACET in the shortest amount of time really bothered me. Ateneo has a high expectation rate for passing, that is why they expect students to answer the ACET in the shortest period of time. But I was unable to keep up. Nevertheless, I decided to give it a try when I submitted my application for the ACET.

On the day of the ACET, I feel nervous. I don't know how will I feel if I answer the test. Nevertheless, I tried to keep my head up. During the exam itself, it became clear that I couldn't keep up. Time is not on my side after all. And when I finished the exam, I gave myself a C- overall.

By February it was obvious that Ateneo was out of the question. But there are more reasons other than the exam itself. I took the ACET in an open-air classroom, without air conditioning. The school is so outdated even if they have modernized their facilities. It was like grade school all over again, with the summer heat sapping the energy out of me. Then the size and altitude of the school itself presents a challenge. Ateneo is situated in the foothills of the Marikina Valley, so the climb definitely presents a lot of bumps along the way. To go to and from various buildings, a tricycle is provided to you, if you're not in the mood to walk. The cost, however, is much more staggering than the IKOT-TOKI jeeps of UP. Finally it was the school's passing rate that digs in. Like UP, Ateneo has a low passing rate, also at around 20%. So my chances were also at a long shot.

I never regretted about not passing the ACET. It did present a challenge for me back in senior high to perform better in the next two entrance exams. Even after Ateneo won three straight UAAP Basketball titles from the next year until now, I still feel proud. My 'What Might Have Been' tour takes me to Espana, next.

No comments:

Post a Comment